Week of October 28

This week, we will be reading, writing about and discussing the needs of living things such as spiders, bats, and owls (les araignées, chauve-souris, and hibou).  All great creatures for the week of Hallowe’en.  il_fullxfull.270117436We will discuss how animals need food, water, shelter and the sun as a source of energy.  Our vowel study will be the letter Y.  We are also sorting words based on our understanding of vowel and letter patterns and I’m pleased to see the children apply their knowledge to daily work!  Wonderful.

The apple sauce went over well last week.  We used the apples for a math lesson and this week we will be talking about the cycle of an apple from seed to fruit.

In math, I would like each child to build a 10 frame with an egg carton.  If you have an egg carton you can send in that would be super!  We will wrap up our unit this week by taking a closer look at number lines, 5/10 frames, and counting skills.  I’m adding a new math link to my blog.  You can find the link under the link column on the left, or here. There are some things I don’t like (the advertising for one), but I do like the variety of activities to support our learning.  Many are in English, but since most of the games I use are not language based it is easy to use them to reinforce math learning.

Please let me know if you would like to send in a little nutritious snack to share with the class on Thursday for Hallowe’en. Kids-Funny-Halloween-Costumes-01Children may bring their costumes for some afternoon fun.  Please, no weapon props and no masks.  Thanks!

Remember to take a moment to look at the choir post if your child has chosen to join the choir.  The children sound wonderful together.